Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
Ann Kellett, JD, RN
This case presents the story of Alvin Floyd, a 53-year-old
African American who presented with symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes
mellitus, and traces his outcome for the 9 months following diagnosis.
- Describe the symptoms of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- State the criteria for diagnosis of diabetes mellitus.
- State the management goals for a patient with diabetes mellitus.
- List the target goals for blood glucose, blood pressure and lipids.
- Discuss the role of medical nutrition therapy and the benefit of
- List the types of oral medications for type 2 diabetes and their
mechanisms of action.
- Describe the short-term and long-term complications of diabetes mellitus.
- Discuss the role of diabetes self-management education in assisting
patients with type 2 diabetes to make the necessary behavioral changes
to manage their disease.
- Describe the routine primary care follow-up for a patient with type 2 diabetes.