Stress Fractures in Female Runners
This case is appropriate for practitioners and students in
physical therapy and related areas.
After completing this unit, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiology of stress fractures in female athletes.
- Identify predisposing factors leading to a stress fracture diagnosis.
- Define the terrible triad in a female athlete (amenorrhea, disordered eating, osteoporosis).
- List the health professionals and medical team involved in female athlete stress fracture treatment.
- Recognize nutritional needs for a patient with a stress fracture diagnosis.
- Outline an exercise program for an athlete returning to sport post stress fracture diagnosis.