Falls and Hip Fractures
- Alexander BH, Rivara FP, Wolf ME. The cost and frequency of hospitalization for fall-related injuries in older adults. Am J Public Health. 1992;82(7):1020-3.
- Allen ML, Wyatt LE. Guidelines for the diagnosis, screening and treatment of osteoporosis in women. Adv Stud Med. 2005;5(10): 518-23.
- American Geriatrics Society,
British Geriatrics Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Panel on Falls Prevention.
Guideline for the prevention of falls in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001; 49: 664-72.
- AGS/BGS Clinical Practice Guideline: Prevention of Falls in Older Persons (2010)
- Berg KO, Wood-Dauphinee SL, Williams JI, Maki B. Measuring balance in the elderly: Validation of an instrument. Can J Public Health. 1992 Jul-Aug; 83 Suppl 2: S7-11. (Description)
- Binder EF, Brown M, Sinacore DR, Steger-May K, Yarasheski KE, Schechtman KB. Effects of extended outpatient rehabilitation after hip fracture: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Aug; 292(7): 837-46.
- Brosseau L, Wells GA, Tugwell P, Egan M, Dubouloz CJ, Casimiro L, et al. Ottawa panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for therapeutic exercises and manual therapy in the management of osteoarthritis. Phys Ther. 2005 Sep; 85(9): 907-71.
- Brown JP, Josse RG. 2002 clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in Canada. CMAJ. 2002 Nov 12;167(10 Suppl):S1-34.
- Campbell AJ, Robertson MC. Implementation of multifactorial interventions for fall and fracture prevention. Age Ageing. 2006 Sep;35 Suppl 2:ii60-4.
- Campbell AJ, Robertson MC, Gardner MM, Norton RN, Buchner DM. Falls prevention over 2 years: a randomized controlled trial in women 80 years and older. Age Ageing. 1999 Oct;28(6):513-8.
- Campbell AJ, Robertson MC, Gardner MM, Norton RN, Tilyard MW, Buchner DM. Randomised controlled trial of a general practice programme of home based exercise to prevent falls in elderly women. BMJ. 1997 Oct 25;315(7115):1065-9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Check for Safety. 2005.
- Chang JT, Morton SC, Rubenstein LZ, Mojica WA, Maglione M, Suttorp MJ, et al. Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. BMJ. 2004 Mar 20;328(7441):680.
- Cleveland Clinic Health System. Hip Fractures in the Elderly. 2004.
- Close J, Ellis M, Hooper R, Glucksman E, Jackson S, Swift C. Prevention of falls in the elderly trial (PROFET): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 1999 Jan 9;353:93-7.
- Cohen H, Blatchly CA, Gombash LL. A study of the clinical test of sensory interaction and balance. Phys Ther. 1993 Jun;73(6):346-51
- Convertino VA, Bloomfield SA, Greenleaf JE. An overview of the issues: physiological effects of bed rest and restricted physical activity. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997 Feb; 29(2): 187-90.
- Cranney A., Guyatt G, Griffith L, Wells G, Tugwell P, Rosen C. IX: Summary of meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Rev. 2002; 23(4): 570-8.
- Dawson-Hughes B, Harris SS, Krall EA, Dallal GE. Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone density in men and women 65 years of age or older. N Engl J Med. 1997 Sep 4;337(10):670-6.
- Day L, Fildes B, Gordon I, Fitzharris M, Flamer H, Lord S. Randomised factorial trial of falls prevention among older people living in their own homes. BMJ. 2002 Nov 16; 325(7373): 1177.
- Duncan PW, Weiner DK, Chandler J , Studenski S. Functional reach - a new clinical measure of balance. J Gerontol. 1990 Nov;45(6):M192-7.
- Fuller GF. Falls in the elderly. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Apr 1;61(7):2159-68, 2173-4.
- Gass M, Dawson-Hughes B. Preventing osteoporosis-related fractures: an overview. Am J Med. 2006 Apr;119(4 Suppl 1):S3-S11.
- Gillespie LD, Gillespie WJ, Robertson MC, Lamb SE, Cumming RG, Rowe BH. Interventions for preventing falls in elderly people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(4):CD000340.
- Gregg EW, Pereira MA, Caspersen CJ. Physical activity, falls and fractures among older adults: a review of the epidemiologic evidence. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48:883-93.
- Guralic JM, Simonsick EM, Ferrucci L, Glynn RJ, Berkman LF, Blazer G, et al. A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission. J Gerontol. 1994 Mar;49(2):M85-94.
- Hausdorff JM, Rios DA, Edelberg HK. Gait variability and fall risk in community-living older adults: a 1-year prospective study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 82(8): 1050-6.
- Hays RD, Prince-Embury S, Chen H. RAND-36 Health Status Inventory. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corp, 1998.
- Heinonen A, Kannus P,
Sievänen H, Pasanen M, Oja P, Vuori I. Good maintenance of high-impact activity-induced bone gain by voluntary, unsupervised exercises: An 8-month follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res. 1999;14:125-8.
- Home Modification
- Home Safety Checklist
- Hornbrook MC, Stevens VJ, Wingfield DJ, Hollis JF, Greenlick MR, Ory MG. Preventing falls among community-dwelling older persons: Results from a randomized trial. Gerontologist. 1994;34(1): 16-23.
- Hu FM, Woollacott MH. Multisensory training of standing balance in older adults: I. Postural stability and one-leg stance balance. J Gerontol. 1994; 49(2): M52-M61.
- Kanis JA, Delmas P, Burckhardt P, Cooper C, Torgerson D. Guidelines for diagnosis and management of osteoporosis. The European Foundation for Osteoporosis and Bone Disease. Osteoporos Int. 1997;7:390-406.
- Kessel B. Hip fracture prevention in postmenopausal women. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2004 Jun;59(6):446-55.
- Koot VC, Peeters PH, de Jong JR, Clevers GJ, van der Werken C. Functional results after treatment of hip fracture: a multicentre, prospective study in 215 patients. Eur J Surg. 2000;166:480-485.
- Kujala UM, Kaprio J, Kannus P, Sarna S, Koskenvuo M. Physical activity and osteoporotic hip fracture risk in men. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:705-8.
- Legters K. Fear of falling. Phys Ther. 2002;82:264-72.
- Li F, Harmer P, Fisher KJ, McAuley E. Tai Chi: improving functional balance and predicting subsequent falls in older persons. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2046-52.
- Liberman UA, Hochberg MC, Geusens P, Shah A, Lin J, Chattopadhyay A, et al. Hip and non-spine fracture risk reductions differ among antiresorptive agents: Evidence from randomised controlled trials. Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Nov;60(11):1394-400.
- Magaziner J, Fredman L, Hawkes W, Hebel JR, Zimmerman S, Orwig DL, et al. Changes in functional status attributable to hip fracture: a comparison of hip fracture patients to community-dwelling aged. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 June 1; 157(11): 1023-31.
- Magaziner J, Hawkes W, Hebel JR, Zimmerman SI, Fox KM, Dolan M, Felsenthal G, Kenzora J. Recovery from hip fracture in eight areas of function. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000;55:M498-M507.
- Mangione KK, Palombaro KM. Exercise prescription for a patient 3 months after hip fracture. Phys Ther. 2005 Jul; 85(7); 676-87.
- Murphy SL. Deaths: Final data for 1998. Natnl Vital Stat Rep. 2000 Jul 24; 48(11): 1-105.
- Nikolaus T, Bach M. Preventing falls in community-dwelling frail older people using a home intervention team (HIT): Results from the randomized falls-HIT trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003 Mar;51(3):300-5.
- Papadimitropoulos E, Wells G, Shea B, Gillespie W, Osteoporosis Methodology Group, Osteoporosis Research Advisory Group, et al. Meta-analyses of therapies for postmenopausal osteoporosis. VIII: Meta-analysis of the efficacy of vitamin D treatment in preventing osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Endocr Rev. 2002 Aug;23(4):560-9.
- Pardessus V, Puisieux F, Di P, Gaudefroy C, Thevenon A, Dewailly P. Benefits of home visits for falls and autonomy in the elderly: A randomized trial study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2002 Apr;81(4):247-52.
- Parker MJ, Gillespie WJ, Gillespie LD. Hip protectors for preventing hip fractures in older people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jul 20;(3):CD001255.
- Province, MA, Hadley BC, Hornbrook MC, Lipsitz LA, Miller JP, Mulrow CD, et al. The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients. JAMA. 1995; 273:1341-7.
- Reid IR, Ames RW, Evans MC, Gamble GD, Sharpe SJ. Long-term effects of calcium supplementation on bone loss and fractures in postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Med.
- Resnick B. Preventing falls
in acute care. In: Mezey M, Fulmer T, Abraham I, Zwicker DA, editors. Geriatric nursing protocols for best practice. 2nd ed. New York: Springer; 2003. p. 141-64.
- Resnick B, Magaziner J, Orwig D, and Zimmerman S. Evaluating the components of the Exercise Plus Program: rationale, theory and implementation. Health Educ Res. 2002 October 1; 17(5): 648-58.
- Rizer MK. Osteoporosis. Primary Care. 2006 Dec;33(4):943-51.
- Robertson MC, Campbell AJ. Falls prevention and the role of home exercise programmes. J R Soc Health. 2001 Sep;121(3):143.
- Rubenstein LZ, Josephson KR, Robbins AS. Falls in the nursing home. Ann Intern Med. 1994 Sep 15;121(6):442-51.
- Rutherford OM. Is there a role for exercise in the prevention of osteoporotic fractures? Br J Sports Med. 1999; 33:378-86.
- Shumway-Cook A, Gruber W, Baldwin M, Liao S. The effect of multidimensional exercises on balance, mobility, and fall risk in community-dwelling older adults. Phys Ther. 1997;77:46-57.
- Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott M. Motor control theory and applications. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1995. p. 323-4.
- Snow CM, Shaw JM, Winters KM, Witzke KA. Long-term exercise using weighted vests prevents hip bone loss in postmenopausal women. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000 Sep;55(9):M489-91.
- Stevens JA, Corso PS, Finkelstein EA, Miller TR. The costs of fatal and nonfatal falls among older adults. Inj Prev. 2006;12:290-5.
- Stevens JA, Thomas K, Teh L, Greenspan AI. Unintentional fall injuries associated with walkers and canes in older adults treated in U. S. emergency departments. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57:1464-9.
- Tinetti ME. Clinical practice. Preventing falls in elderly persons. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:42-9.
- Tinetti ME. Performance-oriented assessment of mobility problems in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986 Feb;34(2):119-26.
- Tinetti ME, Baker DI, McAvay G, Claus EB, Garrett P, Gottschalk M, et al. A multifactorial intervention to reduce the risk of falling among elderly people living in the community. N Engl J Med. 1994 Sep 29;331:821-7.
- Tinetti ME, Mendes de Leon CF, Doucette JT, Baker DI. Fear of falling and fall-related efficacy in relationship to functioning among community-living elders. J Gerontol. 1994;49:140-7.
- Tinetti ME, Richman D, Powell L. Falls efficacy as a measure of fear of falling. J Gerontol. 1990 Nov;45(6):P239-43.
- Ulrich CM, Georgiou CC, Gillis DE, Snow CM. Lifetime physical activity is associated with bone mineral density
in premenopausal women. J Womens Health. 1999 Apr;8(3):365-75.
- Verhagen AP, Immink M, van der Meulen A, Bierma-Zeinstra SM. The efficacy of Tai Chi Chuan in older adults: a systematic review. Fam Pract. 2004 Feb;21(1):107-13.
- Wolff I, van Croonenborg JJ, Kemper HC, Kostense PJ, Twisk JW. The effect of exercise training programs on bone mass: a meta-analysis of published controlled trials in pre- and postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 1999;9:1-12.
- Wolfson LI, Whipple R, Amerman P, Kleinberg A. Stressing the postural response: a quantitative method for testing balance. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986 Dec;34(12):845-50.
- Yesavage JA, Brink TL, Rose TL, Lum O, Huang V, Adey M, et al. Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report. J Psychiatr Res. 1982-1983;17(1):37-49.
- Ziere G, Dieleman JP, Hofman A, Pols HA, van der Cammen TJ, Stricker BH. Polypharmacy and falls in the middle age and elderly population. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Feb;61(2):218-23.
- Cost of
- Falls and older adults
- Fatalities and injuries from falls among older adults
- Mangani I, Cesari M,
Kritchevsky SB, Maraldi C, Carter CS, Atkinson HH, et al. Physical exercise and
comorbidity. Results from the Fitness and Arthritis in Seniors Trial (FAST). Aging Clin Exp Res. 2006 Oct;18(5):374-80.
- Michael YL, Whitlock EP, Lin JS, Fu R, O'Connor EA, Gold R.
Primary Care-Relevant interventions to prevent falling in older adults. US Preventive Services
Task Force. December 2010. Also in Ann Intern Med 2010; 153:815-25.
- Ott, S. Osteoporosis and
bone physiology. St Louis: University of Washington, 2011.
- Physical activity guidelines for Americans: Older adults
- Preventing falls among older adults
- Preventing falls and related fractures
- Rao SS. Prevention of falls in older patients. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 1;72(1):81-8.
osteoporosis screening recommended for all women over age 65. US Preventive Services Task Force, January 2011.
- Self-reported falls and fall-related injuries among persons
aged >65 years. MMWR. 2008 Mar 7; 57(09):225-9.